I read Jamie Notter's thoughts on blogging and it led me to have some thoughts of my own. I have been doing this for about a month now, and I don't feel like stopping any time soon. For me, blogging the books I read has brought my self-education to a great new level. When I read something now, I feel like I have a deliverable, which motivates me to get more out of what I'm reading. I read more carefully, and I take special notes of action steps and useful formulae that I find. Additionally, although the mission of my blog is primarily to serve as a "virtual bookshelf," I find myself wanting to turn other professional experiences into deliverables. It definitely clarifies my thinking, and has the added benefit that at some point, I could possibly transmit something I've learned to others.
Okay, I've reached the height of laziness. I'll explain later. My excuse is that I'm on the road. I came back to BYU for a homecoming reunion since I'm the treasurer of an alumni chapter (very easy job, since we have no money). And of course we trashed UNLV at the game! Also, I've wrapped a bunch of work into the trip out west so I'm doing Utah, Idaho, Arizona and possibly Nevada if I get time. Here is a picture of campus. The Y is on the mountain, and they light it up at special occasions such as homecoming. The reason why there is only a Y is that they started to put BYU up there and they ran out of money or something. So now it's just the Y and that's what we call the school for shorthand. Okay, so now to the lazy part. I brought a jillion books with me and I'm trying to plow through them and send them back media mail. I read the book Never Eat Alone , by Keith Ferrazzi. The book treats the topic of networking, and does it really very well--and re...