Skip to main content

How to keep your corporation from not being dissolved

Doing a little research on state-by-state incorporation stuff, and I found these tips from Arizona's Corporation Commission. Their website is really hard to follow, so I've liberally adapted them here. Mind you, I'm not a lawyer, so don't get sued on my account or anything.

Keep your corporation from being dissolved

1. If you move, tell the corporation authority. You register an agent with the state. They keep that address on file forever. They won't know you've moved unless you tell them. They'll send all your notices to your old address and you may never know. And they can be unforwardable. This means missed filings and lots of bad stuff. It can also roll over to your communications with IRS which of course we want to avoid miscommunication with the IRS. So go online and fill out your state's form. Also, make sure that if you have a statutory agent that that info is kept updated as well.

2. Know the date your report is due, or if you have one. This is hard to boilerplate because every state is different. Some states require annual reports. If yours does, keep up with it. Some states require a biennial report. Know that too.

3. Don't never change the corporate name, due date, filing number or fee amount printed on the form and don't create your own form. This is bad.

4. Follow the directions. Always a good idea with these things don't you think?

5. Check the state authority's website freqently to see if they have changed anything you need to know about.

This stuff is kind of tedious, and I always fear that people aren't keeping up with it (or aren't even aware that they need to).

Popular posts from this blog

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of ...

Never Eat Alone

Okay, I've reached the height of laziness. I'll explain later. My excuse is that I'm on the road. I came back to BYU for a homecoming reunion since I'm the treasurer of an alumni chapter (very easy job, since we have no money). And of course we trashed UNLV at the game! Also, I've wrapped a bunch of work into the trip out west so I'm doing Utah, Idaho, Arizona and possibly Nevada if I get time. Here is a picture of campus. The Y is on the mountain, and they light it up at special occasions such as homecoming. The reason why there is only a Y is that they started to put BYU up there and they ran out of money or something. So now it's just the Y and that's what we call the school for shorthand. Okay, so now to the lazy part. I brought a jillion books with me and I'm trying to plow through them and send them back media mail. I read the book Never Eat Alone , by Keith Ferrazzi. The book treats the topic of networking, and does it really very well--and re...

Conference Website + Musings

Hey all, I found this website on TechCrunch that association peeps need to know about. It's called ConFabb , a site that claims it's the biggest database EVAR of conferences. Anyhoo, I'm beginning to think about a new direction for NBB that would bring me more into a true association blog space. I started this blog focusing on my business reading. It has been a great learning opportunity, but now that I'm back headlong in association management, I need to refocus my energies. For my faithful readers (all like, four of you or something), throw your feedback out to me . Thanks.