Skip to main content

Re: Lobbying

I've been thinking about lobbying lately, as has just about everyone it seems. Since I'm a member of the association community here in Washington, DC, I have more exposure to it firsthand than many. I suppose there are some high-powered types who really peddle their influence, but I am concerned that this scandal will affect all the people who push good--or at least necessary--causes and who take pride in their work. I am concerned about "lobbying reform," which in my mind amounts to a circumscription on citizens' free speech. In my view, anyone can and possibly SHOULD lobby the government. Naturally, money is part of that process, even if you're only paying for your team's food at McDonalds.

I very much agree with the point of view posed by Jan Witold Baran in today's Washington Post subtitled "Don't let one bad Abramoff spoil the whole bunch." I guess my reflection is this: the unethical/illegal activities have been spotted, and the system is cleaning itself. Isn't that a success story?

In related news, I was browsing my alma mater's website and found this free internet course that would be a good primer for association people interested in getting more of a context for government affairs.

Popular posts from this blog

Never Eat Alone

Okay, I've reached the height of laziness. I'll explain later. My excuse is that I'm on the road. I came back to BYU for a homecoming reunion since I'm the treasurer of an alumni chapter (very easy job, since we have no money). And of course we trashed UNLV at the game! Also, I've wrapped a bunch of work into the trip out west so I'm doing Utah, Idaho, Arizona and possibly Nevada if I get time. Here is a picture of campus. The Y is on the mountain, and they light it up at special occasions such as homecoming. The reason why there is only a Y is that they started to put BYU up there and they ran out of money or something. So now it's just the Y and that's what we call the school for shorthand. Okay, so now to the lazy part. I brought a jillion books with me and I'm trying to plow through them and send them back media mail. I read the book Never Eat Alone , by Keith Ferrazzi. The book treats the topic of networking, and does it really very well--and re...

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of ...

Conference Website + Musings

Hey all, I found this website on TechCrunch that association peeps need to know about. It's called ConFabb , a site that claims it's the biggest database EVAR of conferences. Anyhoo, I'm beginning to think about a new direction for NBB that would bring me more into a true association blog space. I started this blog focusing on my business reading. It has been a great learning opportunity, but now that I'm back headlong in association management, I need to refocus my energies. For my faithful readers (all like, four of you or something), throw your feedback out to me . Thanks.