Skip to main content

Roberta's Rules (5)

You should try establish a process that requires more than just a simple majority. In contrast, Robert's only requires a simple majority--50% plus one person. Why should you shoot for more? Well, because then people would be either winners or losers and the losers will make trouble. (That's it in a nutshell.) So you should use some soft skills and run things a little nicer.

Summary of types of majority

Anything higher than 75% is called concordance, or a substantial majority.
Fifty-one to 66% is also in the supermajority range.
Fifty percent plus one person is just a simple majority.

She gives a clock graphic to illustrate this concept.

A useful update is the discussion on the meaning of a quorum. She makes the point that the whole concept's an historical one; that in the old days communication wasn't good enough to vote from a distance. So I'm going to infer that if you're setting up your governance policies in accordance with this book, that you'd make provisions for email-, fax- or telephone-based voting.

Says you should use nonbinding straw-polling to get a feel of where people stand on the issues. Then, if you see an issue is clearly going one way or another, you can either pass it right away, kill it, or send it back to the drawing table. Good way to save time. She gives some really useful tables that include not only how to get a handle on straw polling, but also example language the board chair can use to administer these proceedings (excellent resource for board training).

Popular posts from this blog

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of ...

Never Eat Alone

Okay, I've reached the height of laziness. I'll explain later. My excuse is that I'm on the road. I came back to BYU for a homecoming reunion since I'm the treasurer of an alumni chapter (very easy job, since we have no money). And of course we trashed UNLV at the game! Also, I've wrapped a bunch of work into the trip out west so I'm doing Utah, Idaho, Arizona and possibly Nevada if I get time. Here is a picture of campus. The Y is on the mountain, and they light it up at special occasions such as homecoming. The reason why there is only a Y is that they started to put BYU up there and they ran out of money or something. So now it's just the Y and that's what we call the school for shorthand. Okay, so now to the lazy part. I brought a jillion books with me and I'm trying to plow through them and send them back media mail. I read the book Never Eat Alone , by Keith Ferrazzi. The book treats the topic of networking, and does it really very well--and re...

Conference Website + Musings

Hey all, I found this website on TechCrunch that association peeps need to know about. It's called ConFabb , a site that claims it's the biggest database EVAR of conferences. Anyhoo, I'm beginning to think about a new direction for NBB that would bring me more into a true association blog space. I started this blog focusing on my business reading. It has been a great learning opportunity, but now that I'm back headlong in association management, I need to refocus my energies. For my faithful readers (all like, four of you or something), throw your feedback out to me . Thanks.