Skip to main content

Roberta's Rules (4)

Okay, back the grindstone of that essential foundational critical thinger (and exciting, too!) which is governance policy. Chapter four of the book is called "Testing the current before heading for concensus." Remember the sailing ship metaphor? Still in effect.

Seriously, though, I have to say that in studying up on this book, I really get into it more and more. What the author does is to really codify a lot of common sense. I used to kind of think that people who codified common sense were kind of traitors in a way, but I am finding that as I get old (what's that, sonny??) I respect being able to think clearly and articulate processes a lot more than I used to. And that this book ought to belong on a lot more people's bookshelves than it probably is. End tangent.

The author has this little matrix thingy which is useful. It's called the "complexity-controversy" matrix which is a fun little app you can use to determine readily whether an issue's going to be sticky or not, and then what to do about it (a for example of why this is useful would be the very practical 'how long to give it on the agenda consideration).
















The point behind all this is to determine whether it's worthwhile to try and reach "concensus" which I infer would be her ideal. She uses the examples of Quakers and other religious communities who believe in the practice. She sees voting as mostly hitting a nail in with a sledgehammer, but allows as how it can certainly be necessary if it's high on the controversy-complexity scale.

[ed. The notation (x), where (x) is an integer equal to the book's chapter number shall henceforth be used. ]

Popular posts from this blog

Never Eat Alone

Okay, I've reached the height of laziness. I'll explain later. My excuse is that I'm on the road. I came back to BYU for a homecoming reunion since I'm the treasurer of an alumni chapter (very easy job, since we have no money). And of course we trashed UNLV at the game! Also, I've wrapped a bunch of work into the trip out west so I'm doing Utah, Idaho, Arizona and possibly Nevada if I get time. Here is a picture of campus. The Y is on the mountain, and they light it up at special occasions such as homecoming. The reason why there is only a Y is that they started to put BYU up there and they ran out of money or something. So now it's just the Y and that's what we call the school for shorthand. Okay, so now to the lazy part. I brought a jillion books with me and I'm trying to plow through them and send them back media mail. I read the book Never Eat Alone , by Keith Ferrazzi. The book treats the topic of networking, and does it really very well--and re...

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of ...

Conference Website + Musings

Hey all, I found this website on TechCrunch that association peeps need to know about. It's called ConFabb , a site that claims it's the biggest database EVAR of conferences. Anyhoo, I'm beginning to think about a new direction for NBB that would bring me more into a true association blog space. I started this blog focusing on my business reading. It has been a great learning opportunity, but now that I'm back headlong in association management, I need to refocus my energies. For my faithful readers (all like, four of you or something), throw your feedback out to me . Thanks.