Skip to main content

How to have a good community

I have been thinking a lot recently about what it takes to have a good community, and posts by Kevin Holland and others where my take-away was that most of what makes it good is the feeling of community (I don't have a ready source, so take that meditation with a salt pill).

However, after hearing my spousal unit rave about the DC Web Women listserv, I went and signed up so see what's going on over there. (I know, I'm not a woman and it was especially disconcerting to see the "you've been signed up to the DC Web Women" email next to the one from Men's Health hawking their "Action Hero Workout. Tired of being a mere mortal?" it says. "So what, I hang out with chicks, you gotta problem with that? Sucka."

Anyway, a glance at their website will let you know exactly what they are. I have to think that this kind of clarity is key to the founding of a great community. There's no question about what it is or how to proceed. Their operations seem to be fairly transparent and inviting. I keep thinking about the interplay between design, organization, and communities, but that's about a book unto itself. In the meantime, kudos to the group for putting this community together.

One of the things they're discussing today is Bulletin Boards v. Listservs for connecting people. A list put together by a contributor named Siobhan named some pros and cons of Bulletin Boards.
Pros
  • encourages lurking
  • easier to archive/follow specific threads
  • harder to forward posts off group
  • easier to moderate/control content
  • easier to track individual users contributions (our old list had a requirement that all users remain active and post at least once per quarter - easeier to track with a bulletin board)
  • people love being able to add signatures, photos, links, etc
Cons
  • seems less friendly/less intimate
  • easier for members to ignore threads that don't interest them (so subject lines/switching threads that go off topic is important)
  • much harder for those on dialup to manage
  • users spend more time on the bulletin board than on the list - so
  • harder to jump in and out or hit a quick reply to a specific topic
Then, a conclusion by a contributor named Susan says
I think the real question is how best to facilitate good discussion and interaction within virtual groups - understanding that some people will like the listserv approach better, while others will prefer an online discussion forum.

The best way to approach this is to provide a solution that offers the following options:
  • A web discussion forum, where users can view threaded discussions and search them if they like.
  • The option to receive an email version of each post, a daily digest, or none at all (if they prefer to go to the site).
This way, it acts like a listserv or a discussion forum, or both depending on how the user wants it.
Good thoughts. Thanks DCWW!

UPDATE: So, I found out from the spousal unit that I'm not allowed to be on the listserv at all, so I'm getting you all clandestine information. Hope you enjoy it. (Do you hear me whispering? I am.)

Popular posts from this blog

We've Always Done it That Way: 101 Things About Associations We Must Change

From what I can tell, the impetus for this book was that the folks who wrote it, Jeff De Cagna , David Gammel , Jamie Notter , Mickie Rops and Amy Smith , were “concerned by the instinctively conservative approach to organizational stewardship that far too many association executives and volunteers continue to pursue in the early years of the 21 st century.” I took notes throughout the book, and now I realize they are far too extensive to make a very good book review. And I am definitely the choir that this book is preaching to. However, I really, really liked the problems these folks addressed and they pretty much slaughtered and butchered several sacred cows. This book is not extensive narrative or heavily footnoted, but it is based on the collective experience of 5 people who together have worked with many different organizations, and the collective themes will be familiar to anyone in the field. On a meta level, this book takes observations of what’s happening in the

Public sector information design

Here's an article from the UK's Design Council talking about how information design is important in public-sector efforts. Of course, it's helpful to everyone, but this is a good example of the universal need for better presentation of information--and more design.

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of "