Skip to main content

The New Job Security

I need to start reading books that teach me something new instead of firming up what I have already learned. On some level, it's good to see that you're not alone in drawing the conclusions you draw, but branching out is good too. To me, "The New Job Security," is pretty much common sense if you've ever had to worry about keeping a roof over your head in the years following 1990 or so.

The gist is that the new job security involves always being desirable for a company to hire. Develop your skills, your networks, and your knowledge and you'll be fine is the premise of the book. It articulates something called "inverse security" which basically states that the more secure you *feel* in a job, the less secure you actually are. Which means that while you're sitting around being comfortable, your skills and your networks are wasting away with time. It certainly makes sense to me.

The book does develop some ideas worth thinking about, and I took some notes from some of the many exercises the book offers. Here are my notes:

"Can you communicate your value clearly?"

Exercise -

Do a skill inventory of all your strengths and assets. Ask friends because your friends will be more likely to identify your strengths.

In interviews and the like, use a PAR approach which stands for problem, action, result. Pick an accomplishment you are proud of and use that.

"Don't be mushy"

The five new strategies for job security:

1. Take control. Don't let your company or whatever decide who's in control of your career. You are the captain of it, type of deal.

2. Market for mutual benefit. I have been doing this recently, thinking of the employer relationship as a hands-off transaction, which it is. You offer something, they offer something. It is healthy I think on both sides.

3. Stop looking for jobs. This is the one I don't identify with as much. The point is great: look for a problem, not a job. Then propose ways to fill it. I guess my network isn't as developed as some people's, but I am still in the looking for jobs category and so far so good.

4. Network as the norm. We hear a lot about this lately, network. The more people you know, the better your job prospects are, naturally. Don't be a loner. Although, this definitely is personality-driven, so I feel bad for people who are naturally shy or have to work very hard to connect with people.

5. Negotiate in round rooms. This means that you should avoid putting negotiations in terms of "it's either x or y" instead, leave lots of options and more "ways to say yes". Makes sense in theory but is one of those things that is harder in practice.

A useful thing is the "elevator pitch" for yourself.

Intro - I have x years of experience doing y.

list three skills - "what I particularly enjoy doing is"

list two results that you have achieved. So you can use the PAR thing for that.

By Pam Lassiter
ISBN # 1580083978

Popular posts from this blog

We've Always Done it That Way: 101 Things About Associations We Must Change

From what I can tell, the impetus for this book was that the folks who wrote it, Jeff De Cagna , David Gammel , Jamie Notter , Mickie Rops and Amy Smith , were “concerned by the instinctively conservative approach to organizational stewardship that far too many association executives and volunteers continue to pursue in the early years of the 21 st century.” I took notes throughout the book, and now I realize they are far too extensive to make a very good book review. And I am definitely the choir that this book is preaching to. However, I really, really liked the problems these folks addressed and they pretty much slaughtered and butchered several sacred cows. This book is not extensive narrative or heavily footnoted, but it is based on the collective experience of 5 people who together have worked with many different organizations, and the collective themes will be familiar to anyone in the field. On a meta level, this book takes observations of what’s happening in the

Public sector information design

Here's an article from the UK's Design Council talking about how information design is important in public-sector efforts. Of course, it's helpful to everyone, but this is a good example of the universal need for better presentation of information--and more design.

An Army of Davids

So, I've been spending some time with Glenn Reynold's book (Glenn being of course the seminal and highly influential Instapundit ), and I must say that it gives me lots of language I can use to talk about phenomena that are easily observable right now. I think you could say that Glenn Reynolds has done for technology what Virginia Postrel did with design topics . Which is to say, they beat the drum and say, hey, look at what this democratization of knowledge can do for you! In that vein, the book is really pretty visionary, pointing out the magic of the internet age. And I for one see it as magical. You know how Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pa in Little Town on the Prairie said to Laura that it was an amazing time to be alive (that was in the 1890s)? I've been actively thinking that to myself for the past few years, and An Army of Davids gives me ample evidence to back that up with its talk of citizen empowerment and the "comfy chair revolution." The theme of "