Skip to main content

Boxer's Start-Up: A Beginner's Guide to Boxing

I got this book because I started taking boxing lessons earlier this year from a guy I found on craigslist. I started taking lessons because as I get older, I feel the need to be able to defend myself physically. I started getting the literature so that I would have more background to bring to the lessons.

Here is one of the more smack-talking quotes: "Boxing is at the heart of physical toughness. It's the barest art of self-defense. It can be the rawest measure of a person. It's the most basic of competitions where fears are met and overcome or all is lost. It's the ideal vehicle for unfettered agression. Short of actual hand-to-hand combat, it's the ultimate contest between two people." The rest of the book gets into more actual how-tos as opposed to this motivational stuff, which presumably the reader is into since he bought the book.

Anyway, I thought the book was a really good introduction, and the guy who co-wrote it was a true beginner, so he brings that perspective into his writing. For me, the most useful part were the run-downs of the punches: jab, straight right, hook and uppercut, along with notes about their various uses, etc. There is also a chapter that covers the basic combinations: double and triple jabs, one-two, one-two-three, right-left-right and left-right-left. These two sections were helpful to me in solidifying the stuff I had learned in my lessons.

In all, the book is very accessable and not intimidating. So it would be helpful to people like me who want to stick a toe in and who are not culturally savvy about tough-guy stuff.

By Start-Up Sports and Doug Werner
ISBN # 1884654096

Popular posts from this blog

Public sector information design

Here's an article from the UK's Design Council talking about how information design is important in public-sector efforts. Of course, it's helpful to everyone, but this is a good example of the universal need for better presentation of information--and more design.

We've Always Done it That Way: 101 Things About Associations We Must Change

From what I can tell, the impetus for this book was that the folks who wrote it, Jeff De Cagna , David Gammel , Jamie Notter , Mickie Rops and Amy Smith , were “concerned by the instinctively conservative approach to organizational stewardship that far too many association executives and volunteers continue to pursue in the early years of the 21 st century.” I took notes throughout the book, and now I realize they are far too extensive to make a very good book review. And I am definitely the choir that this book is preaching to. However, I really, really liked the problems these folks addressed and they pretty much slaughtered and butchered several sacred cows. This book is not extensive narrative or heavily footnoted, but it is based on the collective experience of 5 people who together have worked with many different organizations, and the collective themes will be familiar to anyone in the field. On a meta level, this book takes observations of what’s happening in the